Alleyn's pupils travelled to Lingfield College over the weekend to enjoy an in-person Model United Nations (MUN) event. It was a fantastic day of debating global politics with teams from across London, and learning about what the UN Refugee Agency is doing to help displaced people in Afghanistan.
MUN is an educational simulation in which pupils learn about diplomacy, international relations and the role of the United Nations across the word. The Alleyn's MUN has flourished in recent years, and we were delighted to see the team return having won the overall best delegation (distinguished delegation) as the UK in the General Assembly. There were a number of individual accolades too:
- Ella (Y10) won highly commended delegate representing the UK in SPECPOL
- Juliet (Y12) won distinguished (best) delegate representing China in SPECPOL
- Martina (Y11) won distinguished delegate representing the UK on ECOFIN
- Maya (Y11) won distinguished delegate representing China on Security Council
- Long Chi (Y12) won highly commended delegate representing the UK on DISEC
Mathew Greetham, MUN lead at Alleyn's, said: "All our pupils have done exceptionally well, including those for whom this was a first MUN conference experience. Our winners thoroughly deserved their medals, and I am delighted with how well our entire delegation approached complex topics such as cyber security, human rights and the illicit arms trade, with impressive maturity and eloquence."
The Alleyn's MUN has recently joined Twitter to share its latest news and updates under the handle @alleynsmun.